A list of my favourite quotes from books I’ve read in the past week. Leave a comment/link telling me what your favourite quotes are! I’ll be sure to check your post out too!
1. Keep silent your screams and never look back.
2. A long time ago, before I’d lost my wings, I’d thought that bravery could be attained with an open mind and heart, by persuing and facing my demons. Now I considered that fearlessness was the luxury of the cloistered and blind, and that it was too late for me.
1. How do you tell someone like Pete that these kinds of friendships don’t last, that they weren’t made to last more than the summer even in the best of circumstances, and these certainly haven’t been the best. That some friends aren’t meant to be, except in stories, or books. You miss a penalty shot and no one wants to talk to you, and maybe you don’t want to talk to them either. You want your own oblivion, and they don’t understand. You don’t answer their texts or even answer the messages of the one or two who venture to call. None of this has much to do with Peter, but you know you won’t be friends with him past tomorrow.
2. “All that we see or seem to see is but a dream within a dream.”
3. “Because I could not stop for Death–He kindly stopped for me.”
1. But when I looked for good, eveil came; And when I looked for light, darkness came. My lyre is turned to mourning, and my pipe to the voice of those who weep. (Job)
2. “When someone threatens suicide, when they tell somebody they’re going to do it beforehand they’re reaching out, hoping someone will stop them. The problem is that people who aren’t depressed don’t always understand that and have a hard time believing it. To them, the idea of killing yourself to end pain is inconceivable. They think it’s nothing but drama or a bid for attention and if they ignore it or reason with them, they’ll come to their senses and life will go back to normal. […] Most times it doesn’t happen that way. The ones who don’t tell anyone beforehand…They’ve already made their decision and planned it all out to make sure they succeed. We find them after the fact, when it’s too late.”
3. “We grow up believing that bad things don’t happen to good people…but sometimes they do. It’s a hard truth to accept, that life is not fair.”
4. “Isn’t it funny; add a person to the family and smoking stops. Lose one, and it starts right back up again.”
:If there were a kick-ass party at the bottom of the cliff, I absolutely would.”
“God, you suck.”
1. “You wonder why I stay,” I said. “Sometimes I wonder too. But I hate to think of a child, of anyone really, lying somewhere sick and scared, waiting for help that does not come.”
2. “I’m not afraid of these ghosts, Cleo. I have enough of my own to keep me company.”
3. ” I know what it’s like to lose a friend and wonder why you’re the one left behind. To think that nothing makes sense. Not one thing.”
4. I turned my head. “It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,” I said, “than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”
1. “There’s much more power in pain.”
2. “Breaking the winds breaks you. The power becomes a craving, like…part of you dies and the only way to fill the emptiness is to spoil everything around you. And you can’t fight it because you can’t fight it because you don’t want to fight it, because then you’d never be able to experience the rush again.
3. “Sometimes pain is necessary to fix a problem that cannot otherwise be corrected. It’s unpleasant and unfortunate, but then it’s over and everything is set right.”
4. “But will you be able to live with yourself if something happens to anyone you love?”