A list of my favourite quotes from books I’ve read in the past week. Leave a comment/link telling me what your favourite quotes are! I’ll be sure to check your post out too!
1. There are things you cannot share with friends. Even best ones. Some secrets that are kinder just to keep.
2.That’s real life. Things don’t always work out the way you think they will. They’re not so neat and tidy. But people come into your life with a purpose–I see that now. Claire likes to say that people cross your paths for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Astor was a reason. Hayley, though? Hayley is a lifetime.
3. “You needed the secret kept for you more than I needed the truth to come out.”
4. I understand, now, that your own identity, your past, has nothing to do with the way others see you. Being a hero isn’t about someone else’s definition. Not Abigail’s and not Constance’s. Not the Post’s. Not even Claire’s. Being a hero is about one thing: the way you see yourself.
1. Sometimes love is so intense that it turns into this gray area that borders on hate. That’s what happens when the people you love have that type of power of you.
2. I’d heard people say that being pregnant during the summer was miserable, but that shit had nothing on cancer.
1. The truth was, I had never felt sad about being gay. It was just another part of who I was, no different from my size seven feet or 20/20 vision. The part I hated was the hiding; the pretending to be someone I wasn’t; the steady, tormenting harassment that came in the form of Bible scripture and church sermons, the constant fear that if people found out, they would hate me, ridicule me, possibly even hurt me. That stuff sucked.
2. If New Horizons is, like Kaylee said, the tool God gave me to create a better life, I’m pretty sure I’m using it wrong.
3. See, that’s the problem with getting hit by lightning. You get burned.
1. The thing is, when you’re with someone like Poppu– Someone who sees straight through your battered façade and loves every bit of you, someone who makes you laugh until you pee your pants, someone who grabs you in a hug exactly when you need it– you don’t crave any kind of approval from strangers. You don’t need to ‘matter’ in the world, because you already matter to the only person who counts.
2. Wishes were stupid and pointless. They were self-inflicted injuries–open wounds that you had to tend for the rest of your life just to contain them, to keep them from festering and consuming you.