A list of my favourite quotes from books I’ve read in the past week. Leave a comment/link telling me what your favourite quotes are! I’ll be sure to check your post out too!
1. When someone falls in love with you like that, he stops being your friend. He stops caring about your friendship and he only cares about wanting you to love him back.
2. We take it for granted.
We forget stuff along the way, sure, but mostly it’s little stuff. We forget where we put our keys or we forget to turn the curling iron off or we lie awake in bed in the middle of the night, convinced we left the stove on Convinced we left the front door unlocked. Convinced we forgot to set the alarm.
As we grow up, we accept that our memory gets worse. Sometimes we can’t remember what day it is. Sometimes we can’t remember if we washed our hair already. We stand in the shower dripping, unmoving.
Older still and now other things start to go. We cannot remember our children’s names. We call them every name we can think of until we get the right one. We know we’re right because they finally answer us.
3. The people we love get under our skin and crawl through our veins and find their way into our heart. They choke up our blood flow and mess up our breathing and tangle themselves through our bodies like wire. Like razors, like fire.
We remember them even when we don’t remember them. We try to forget. but it’s pointless.
Even amnesia. Even comas and brain damage and traumatic shock. Whatever makes us not remember, we still remember. Our minds flounder like fish but our bodies…
Our bodies remember.
1. Sometimes a choice isn’t a simple yes or no, but the truth made visible, strong enough to hold up a world.
2. Given a choice, it seems like pity would be easier to bear than mockery, but that’s not true. Mockery hardens defences; pity slips through, finding the softest places you have, and slices to the bone.
Pity will break you, every time.
3. If people love you because you’re perfect, what happens when you screw up? Constant perfection was its own kind of pressure, I realized, and felt an unexpected rush of sympathy.
Favourite quote: “When you don’t have any reason to think of days as weekdays or weekends, you start to realize that all days are pretty much the same. And that kind of gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. It’s a lot easier to seize the day than it is to seize a Tuesday. You have errands on Tuesday. On Tuesday you eat pizza again. Your favourite TV show is on Tuesday, you know? But the day…”
“The day is all just hours you’re alive for. They can be filled with anything. Unexpectedness, wildness, maybe a little bit of lawlessness, even.”